Sunday, June 19, 2011

Mormon.org (Pending) Profile

Dear Friends,

I submitted my profile to Mormon.org. FOUR MONTHS AGO. Sheesh, when is it going to be accepted?

Anyway, while checking it out to see if anything has changed, I decided to change my profile...at hopefully not the expense of waiting four more months. But here is what I put:

Hi, I'm Hillary Millecam

I am a public relations student. I hope to promote my passion in the music industry. I run far, I dream big, and I'm a Mormon.

How I live my faith

I guess it just comes more naturally to me since I was born in it. But as I have grown older, left home, and gone to college it has forced me to decide just how committed I will be with my faith.

I am somebody who follows the Mormon saying, "Be IN the world, but not OF the world." I am actively involved with media, social media, current events, business, art, and - the most meaningful to me - MUSIC.

I decided to pick up violin one day at age seven and it has just stuck with me since. I gradually acquired piano and guitar after that. I have toured with performance groups to many remarkable stages, and I have been blessed with so many other opportunities with my music thanks to this church.

I believe that God has given me the gift of music so that I can touch people with the power of good, wholesome, quality music to bring them closer to him.

Attending BYU I have realized that I don't live like a stereotypical Mormon. I am a girl interested in getting a career in business in addition to eventually getting married, I hope to further my education and maybe get a Master's, and I have slightly more liberal ideology than my college peers.

Dreaming of working for the music and entertainment industry, I have learned not only to take strength through my individual prayer and scripture study, and to make sure my testimony is strong when I may someday be around associates who don't share any of my beliefs, but also to take strength from those in the church and fortify myself with close member friends.

I live my faith by daily scripture study, by daily prayer and communication with God, by daily striving to improve myself, by daily validation of my beliefs, by daily trying to follow the prophet's commandments, by daily repentance, and by daily stopping and listening to God speak to me through personal revelation.

I don't know where I would be or who I would be without this gospel and Christ as my savior.

About Me

I am currently attending college, I am working hard to be accepted into the Public Relations program next year. I am minoring in management, and considering pursuing a further education in management. I hope someday to become a Music Venue manager because I have played violin and piano since early elementary school and I have grown to love it so much that I wish to share and present my passion to the rest of the world. Music and orchestra has blessed me with so many opportunities. I have been fortunate to travel half across the world and across the states to see and play where great composers have performed.
I love learning about the world. I love art, I love to run very long distances, I love culture, I love theater and cinematography. I like to write but I also like learning different concepts like economics and accounting. I love to hunt thrift stores for hidden treasures. And I love trying new things.

Why I am a Mormon

I am a descendant of pioneers on my dad's side of my family, and my mother's family left their profession of clergy and converted into the church, I was born into the church.

After moving away from Utah I realized I relied on my parents' testimonies and decided that I needed to know for myself if it was right. I strongly believe in individualism so choosing what type of person I wanted to be was crucial.

So I took Moroni's challenge to read the Book of Mormon. As I read more and more, longer and longer, I came to have an overpowering confirmation that Jesus is our Savior and The Book of Mormon is indeed another testament of Christ.

I also believe in always going forward, I can't imagine living a life where we spend so much time repenting, progressing, and struggling just to hit a standstill when we die. I don't know any other place that has a sweeter gospel truth that could ever possibly replace eternal marriage and families.

I have a firm testimony that God loves us so much that he wants to give us all that he can if we turn to him and are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to get there. And this truth makes me stick to my faith.

As I continue through life experiences that would make people question the validity of God, I have found that when I put my faith in him and his gospel that my testimony of this faith has only grown stronger.



I might go and tweak a few other things but I felt like I wanted to share this with you if Mormon.org never accepts it. Huh, the trials of being a yuppie Mormon-born white kid, soooo hard and totally not the kind of people the church necessarily needs immediately to promote on the website. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment