Sunday, May 12, 2013

Oblivion


You know, when I was in college I always wondered what my older friends' lives were like post-graduation. It always floated out there in a shroud of mystery. I always wondered what was going on in their lives so much that they didn't ever seem to post on Facebook much anymore, or that they weren't texting me all the time.

Well, I hit that point and now I know why.

You can hear them use the excuse of "busy" for not posting as much, and that's pretty true.

I'll just put it frankly as to why they disappear into a shroud of mystery: adulthood.

College is this really, as some of them put it, magical - but being freshly out of college, I'll call it weird- time of your life. One that sits in this bizarre little world that so many comedy films are mesmerized with. It's because you get a lot more random light-switch rave parties and do crazier things. It's a haven from reality, you can do wild things because it's "college."

Reality isn't bad, by any stretch of the imagination, don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic place. But, you don't get weirdness and exciting things thrusted on you like before. I assumed upon graduation that life would be pretty similar like it was a few weeks ago only with evenings off to party and social as well as having some cash to spend on things.

Well, the reason we dissappear into an oblivion for a while is because we the real world is truly what you make it.

Let me try to explain what I mean by this.

These last two weeks of the real world have not been bad, but they were boring. I don't have any roommates to suggest Star Wars excursions, I don't have college friends coming up to me in class suggesting concerts or parties to go to, I'm not sitting around studying and daydreaming and having immediate access to a computer to stop and share my thoughts.

And, honestly, there just wasn't anything interesting to really report. It took a little while to realize I have to go out and actively find the excitement, it doesn't come knocking on my apartment door.

There you have it. That's the shroud of mystery, the oblivion. Life is incredibly normal after college until you make it exciting and magical. So I'm working on that.

1 comment:

  1. Good perspective! I do believe you have to create the fun.

    But I have to tell you something- life with roommates will create fun again! Getting into your ward and having a posse with recreate the fun.

    College life is exciting, but in a few months when you find some amazing girls to live with and you're very involved in a new ward you will see this phase of life is every bit as fun. It takes a little more work, but there is more money too!

    I'm excited for you to get a foot on the career and then create the social life of your dreams- it can and will happen!

    ReplyDelete